Sunday, May 2, 2010

flop, near-flop, flop again


It was just that kind of weekend.

Saturday started with the absolutely fabulous third birthday party of our friend Little Man. There were friends, fun, fire trucks (the Bean was in heaven), fire men (mommy was in heaven), pizza and cake: a perfect recipe for fun. But mommy and daddy forgot to combine our sugar-intake-tallies for the Bean as the party progressed, and the day ended in a massive sugar-induced meltdown. Parenting flop.

We regrouped Sunday morning and made it to and home from church with little event, and even managed to have a pretty good time.

This gave me just enough false confidence to take on a long-neglected sewing project: the Bean's dust ruffle for her big girl bed.

I took measurements, I made charts, graphs and diagrams, I cut, I sewed, I pressed, I repeated. And sure enough, in about an hour, I had a rather simple, but perfect little dust ruffle with box pleats. See?

DSC_0268

What is that you say? It's not perfect? Oh I see. The box pleats aren't equidistant apart.

DSC_0267

And there are seven inches missing up here.

DSC_0266

And there are seven extra inches over here. What just happened? But, but, but I made a diagram, see?

DSC_0288

There are no misplaced inches or wonky-pleat-distances on my diagram for heaven's sake!

[heavy sigh]

[regroup]

DSC_0261

[unsew, re-cut, re-sew, re-press, repeat]

DSC_0270

There. That's better.

DSC_0272

That too.

DSC_0273

Only a sewing near-flop. And when you put the bookcase back, the wonky-pleat-distances aren't so obvious. Unless you're me. Then the asymmetry makes you twitch every time you walk in the room. But that's my own issue. I'll deal. Moving on.

So no matter how emotionally traumatized by dust ruffle asymmetry a mommy is, her family still needs to eat. And when the recipe is from this fabulous new cookbook from Cook's Illustrated, that is alright with me.

DSC_0285

And when the recipe is for Chicken Enchiladas, even better! And since I meal-plan

DSC_0277

and make exhaustively researched grocery lists

DSC_0278

everything is right here and ready to go!!!!

DSC_0275

Except the onions. And chili powder. And cilantro.

And part of my soul.

DSC_0286

Thank you Brad. And Dominos.

I'm going to bed now.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. And it may have been the third juice box I gave the bean that sent her over the proverbial edge. Or the Snickers. Or the tootsie pop. Or the...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, it's a good thing you're so cute. And you bring me pizza.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails