Monday, May 3, 2010

flop update

The only thing worse than a flop, is having it happen again.

The very next day.

Cooks Illustrated and I are in a fight.

Home, fresh from the grocery, all required ingredients assembled and accounted for, I was so ready to take on the Chicken Enchilada recipe from the new Cooks Illustrated cookbook I mentioned yesterday.

DSC_0285

I dutifully mise-en-placed. I read the recipe all the way through. Twice. I tallied up the cook times and counted back from Brad's 6:00 eta and set to work.

DSC_0289

At 6:45, the enchiladas were still no where near being done. Either the Cooks Illustrated authors grossly underestimated the time required for simmering chicken to reach 160F, the chicken breasts were abnormally large, or user error was somehow involved (however unlikely that seems, considering the cook).

With the Bean's bed time looming ever closer and our tummies grumbling ever louder, Brad interrupted my inept-cookbook-author/elephantine-chicken defense, took the spatula out of my hands and drove us to Chik-fil-a.

We can have the enchiladas another night.

When I'm done being mad at them.

2 comments:

  1. Everything looks yummy to me - hope you assembled the enchilada's and put them in the fridge for another day. Love your bedskirt from the last post - you achieved the perfect length by sewing it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did! In fact, the only reason you're not reading a post about how ridiculously yummy and fantastic they were, is because I was so desperate to get them in my belly, I forgot to take a photo. Yum!

    And thanks for the compliment on the bedskirt - I ended up sewing it myself because the only simple, white, box-pleat dust ruffles I could find under $30 were so cheap and thin you could see those lovely blue flowers on the box springs straight through them. The fabric for these cost right at $15, but I am convinced they took a couple minutes off my life. Oh well - it's done! Now on to the quilt....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails